Friday, June 24, 2011

CdA Prep - My First Full IM

Wow, I haven't been back to this blog since I posted about running the NYC Marathon. I have come a long way since last November when the second half of my marathon ended in disappointment.

Today, I am in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, preparing for IMCdA this Sunday. This place is absolutely gorgeous. What a great scenic place to spend some time. If it weren't for the 58 degree water temp and the frigid and constant breeze, it would be perfect for a race!

I got to registration early today, after a late night of putting together my bike and unpacking my gear. As I was walking out of the "village" that has been set up just for the race, the pro press briefing was taking place, including Julie Dibens (3rd place in Kona 2010) and Craig Alexander (2-time world champion). After the press had their way, I got an opportunity to meet and take a picture with Craig. Super nice guy and a highlight of my trip...one that I didn't expect when coming out here.

Race day is on Sunday, so today and tomorrow are more getting acclimated, prepped, and through some low intensity, low duration swims, bikes, and runs. My swim today, in a wetsuit and neoprine cap, was frigid. So cold that I could feel my face tighten up and started getting a headache. Race should be interesting!

Soon, I will be off to a pre-race dinner and meeting for the athletes, then hopefully to get some much needed rest. Not sure how much I will post here before the race, but certainly will give a blow-by-blow post-race. I hope it is a good one. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment