Monday, June 14, 2010

First 10K Race

This past Sunday, I ran in my first 10K race in an attempt to get my distances up and see how my training is progressing towards running the half marathon. Race went well, although the course was interesting, to say the least. I ran the Lawrence for Livestrong 10K in Lawrence Central Park, where the entire race took place on grass and in the woods. Also, not particularly well organized with no water stations and the course markings were difficult.

I pulled a buddy of mine along with me and we ran the race together. Until he passed me less than a mile in... ;) At the halfway point (5K), I was hurting and couldn't believe that I still had another 5K to go!!! Just another reminder for me that more than 50% of running races is mental, as I put it out of my mind, ignored (the best I could) the fatigue in my legs, and pressed through it. So many mind games you play with yourself on a long run. Should I stop? Should I walk? Oh just for a minute.... NO! Ignore the urge and just keep running, you are almost there!

Final time was just under 54 minutes, which put me at about an 8:40 min mile pace. Not great, but the course was not entirely flat and I lost 20-30 seconds backtracking and trying to confirm with a race official that I was going the right way! You should have seen the course map...ugh! That pace was off of the pace I set during the first half of my half marathon this past April, so that is disappointing. It is just hard to know if they are comparable because of this course...

Next Saturday is a sprint tri in Pittsgrove, NJ. 1/4 mi swim, 12 mi bike, and 5K. Will be my first tri and an attempt to understand and work through the logistics of the transitions... look for a post after that race, if not before!

No comments:

Post a Comment