Saturday, November 14, 2009

11/14/2009 - First Day of Training

So, with 336 days until race day, my training began today. I had intended to work inside with some cross-training work, but the DVD player wasn't working and my kids were in that TV zone, so I went for a run. The goal was to make it from my house to downtown Lambertville and back before dark. I clocked the distance at 3.15 miles, so a round trip would have me at 6.3 miles. Considering that I have never knowingly run that far at once, and am not in shape, it was an optimistic goal!

Started out without any trouble (save for the fairly steep hills in my development), but had to bear down and focus to not get psyched out by the hills. Hit the front of my development in 5 minutes (.55 miles) and with pain beginning in my shins, I passed West Amwell Elementary at the 10 minute mark (1.4 miles). Lungs were holding up fine and heart rate was in the zone at 150 btm.

With downtown in site, my pace quickened and I felt better. Caught a quick loop around and headed for home. Total time into town: 27 minutes, or just under 9 minute mile pace...not so great. Pace home seemed slower than when I started my run, but I was also on a fairly steep hill coming out of town. Pain in my shins was gone, but it was replaced by burning in my quads (the hill?). Lung and heart were strong and fine. If it weren't for the muscle pain, I would have been killing it.

I got back to WAE School at 18 minutes (1.75 miles) on the split home, just a minute off of my original pace for the same into town, but I was hurting and couldn't keep myself at a run. I gave into the pain and started a quick walk. Walked for 5 minutes, started my run again, and got to the front of the development at the 28 minute mark (returning split, ), 6 minutes off of the out-bound pace. Hips starting to really hurt me. Needed a break and walked half of the development, finishing on a run during the second half and ending at the 65 minute mark.

Total run: est. 6.3 miles in 65 minutes
Splits:
Outbound - Development(.55 mi): 5 mins; School (1.4 mi): 10 mins, White Building(2.15 mi): 18 mins; Downtown(3.15 mi): 27 mins
Inbound - White Building(1 mi): 10 mins; School(1.75 mi): 18 mins; Development(2.6 mi): 28 mins; Home(3.15 mi): 37 mins

Had a post-run nutrient drink to help recovery. All leg muscles sore and tightening up.

A little disappointed in the times, but I have't run in years and have known I am out of shape. I am optimistic that the times will greatly improve and the muscle pain will go away for this distance and run. Nearest goal for this run/distance: sub-50 minutes (faster than 8 min/mile).

No comments:

Post a Comment