Monday, July 26, 2010

Addition of Cross-training to Program

Monday of last week marked 90 days until the Longhorn Half Ironman in Austin, and it was a good time to add some cross-training to my workout routine. I had not done any sort of weight-related training but have continued to read that I should be. So, I tapped a set of DVDs that I bought years ago, got out the weights, and set up a pull-up bar. I have also adjusted my diet to help me shed some fat while still being able to perform. Basically, getting my calories from a lower carb diet.

In some cases, my road and bike work has suffered from the addition of the cross training, but on other days I have been doing doubles to make up for the days where I cross trained but didn't run or bike. The goal is to do a double each day that it is possible, with tri sessions in the mornings before it gets too hot and cross sessions in the evenings, all while trying to keep an eye on over training. For the most part, the cross training is upper body, with some cardio and abs thrown in there, so with the exception of being more tired and worn down, I don't think that I will overtrain muscle areas, etc. Keeping an eye on it, however!

This past weekend, training took a fairly big hit when I had a big family reunion. I didn't train at all during the weekend (Fri, Sat, or Sun), but did do some cross-training cardio on Sunday night. I also had a few beers, which is off of the low-carb diet. But, this morning (Monday), I got back into the sattle (literally) and did an 18 mile bike. I would have thought and hoped to be rested after so many days off, but I wasn't as fresh as I expected. Not sure if this is a result of not getting enough rest, the cross-training, or something else. The bike courses that I have been riding are fairly hilly, due to where I live, so that is contributing to some slower speeds. I just need to determine if that means I can bring up my average speed on a flatter course.

So, training continues in earnest. I have some more work flexibility recently that I hope will continue so that I can continue to put in some good hours of training. We just need the weather to stay cooler than it has been, too. Biking and/or running in 90 or 100 degrees isn't fun and I am sure impacts my performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment